Skip to content

Frequently Asked Campervan Conversion Questions

Choosing and buying a campervan conversion

The cost of a conversion can vary greatly depending on the final specifications, size, and layout. We strive to provide transparent pricing, and you can find the majority of our prices on our ‘Prices’ page. As a rough estimate, converting an empty van to a 2-berth campervan costs around £10,000, while a 4-berth conversion costs approximately £13,000.

The installation of individual elements such as solar panels, leisure batteries, heating, and awnings can typically be completed within 1-3 days. Full conversions take longer, as we prioritize quality over speed. All our conversions are hand-built in-house, and a full 4-berth campervan may take up to 4 weeks to complete.

As a general guideline, we ask whether the vehicle will be used solely as a camper or as an everyday van. This is because long wheelbase vans are not as convenient for quick trips to the shops or parking in supermarket car parks. Although long wheelbase vans offer more internal space despite being only 1ft longer, the extra external length comes with some compromises.

The best layout depends on personal preferences, desires, and budget. The majority of our conversions are full side conversions, which provide ample storage, a comfortable sleeping area, and all necessary facilities. These layouts are perfect for day trips and extended European travels. However, if you’re on a budget and primarily using the van for day trips, a simple pod unit and rock n roll bed may be a more suitable option.

We strive to keep our lead-time to a minimum, but as a small team, during peak times, it can occasionally extend to up to 6 months. On average, full conversions usually take around 8 weeks, while day fits are completed in approximately 4 weeks.

Unfortunately, due to past experiences, we now require a 20% deposit upfront. This deposit confirms your booking slot and allows us to order any special parts required for your conversion. The remaining 80% is due upon collection, but only once you have seen and are satisfied with your van.

About LT Conversions

Yes, we make all our conversions in-house. As the majority of our conversions are custom-made, we strongly believe in producing everything ourselves. This ensures a perfect fit every time and often reduces the lead-time significantly, as we don’t have to wait for another company to mass-produce units for us.

Yes, we occasionally have vans already converted for sale. However, our primary focus is on converting customers’ own vehicles. This allows customers to choose their own finishes and layout. We often acquire vans to test new layouts and designs, which are then sold and advertised through our social media platforms once they are finished.

Our owner/director, Lee, has been converting vans since 2003. With nearly 20 years of experience, he has worked on over 1500 vans, fitted over 200 elevating roofs, and installed approximately 2000 windows.

We are based in Bideford, North Devon. Our location is close to many award-winning beaches, so why not combine your visit with a trip to one of them?

The nearest train station to us is Barnstaple. We offer a free drop-off and collection service from any of the nearest bus stops.

While we don’t have a showroom per se, we do have a couple of show vans that are fully converted and available for you to see. We believe this is the best way to experience a conversion as it provides a true sense of space. We are constantly working on different vans, each at various stages of conversion. This gives you an opportunity to view our work and see how everything is done.

Yes, we are open on weekends, but it’s by appointment only. We understand that everyone has busy lives, so we try to accommodate our customers’ preferred time. If you wish to visit us on a weekend, please contact us in advance, and we will do our best to arrange a suitable appointment.

While not always necessary, we strongly encourage making an appointment to discuss your conversion. This helps us plan our workload efficiently. As we handle a significant number of vans and work on a strict schedule, we are often quite busy. Additionally, we occasionally close for shows throughout the year. To avoid any inconvenience, please call ahead and schedule an appointment with us.

We offer many one-day fits, which are ideal for customers who wish to leave their van with us while they explore the local town or grab a bite to eat. These one-day fits include solar panels, leisure batteries, awnings, bike racks, gas & diesel heating, and windows.

“the workmanship was first-class”

Back To Top